Thinking about having a prayer answered, people of faith immediately go to John 14:14.
John 14:14, “If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.”
Before you get all excited about what God is going to do let me share a few things. There are five prerequisites that we must fulfill in order for John 14:14 to be effective.
The Prayer Requirements
Contrition and Humility
- 2 Chronicles 7:14, “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”
Wholehearted or Earnestness
- Jeremiah 29:13, “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.”
- Mark 11:24, “Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.”
- James 5:16, “Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.”
- I John 3:22, “And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.”
Don’t expect the payoff without doing the work.