According to parents.com, my name, Scott, is of old English origin and means from Ireland, or later from Scottland. Doesn’t sound very exciting and isn’t very profound. I guess its good I have ancestors from that region. However, if we look at my son’s name, Elijah, a good Bible name, it means, my God is Jehovah.
A name defines an individual, it identifies who they are. A name is the single most important data element in identifying an individual. Thousands of years ago, the name given to someone was an indication of who they were.
In the Bible, Hannah names her child because of an answered prayer.
- 1 Samuel 1:20 Wherefore it came to pass, when the time was come about after Hannah had conceived, that she bare a son, and called his name Samuel, saying, Because I have asked him of the Lord.
Moses’ discovery established his name.
- Exodus 2:10 When the child grew older, she brought him to Pharaoh’s daughter, and he became her son. She named him Moses, Because, she said, I drew him out of the water.
As I think about my circle of friends, I see many titles; family titles such as; mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister. Or profession titles; such as, doctor, writer, real estate agent, pastor, consultant. But when you really want to know the identity of someone you must know there name.
David Smith, in his Holy Ghost outpouring meetings, always shares the story of writing check. I can give you a check for $1000, but if I sign the check “dad”, the bank is not going to cash it for you. They need to know the name of the individual.
Then an amazing thing happened. Let’s pic up the story in the first chapter of Matthew.
- Matthew 1:18-21 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus :for he shall save his people from their sins.
The instruction of the angel to Joseph was fulfilling the prophecy of the prophet Isaiah.
- Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
- Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
That name, is a refuge and strong tower in times of violence!
- Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD [is] a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.
- 2 Samuel 22:3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: [he is] my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.
That name, is a comforter in times of dispair!
- Isaiah 66:13 As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you;…
- John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
That name, is a healer in times of pain and suffering!
- Isaiah 53:5 But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
- 1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
That name, is a provider in times of need!
- Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
- Psalms 50:10 For every beast of the forest [is] mine, [and] the cattle upon a thousand hills.
That name, is a companion in times of lonliness!
- Hebrews 13:5 …for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
- Proverbs 18:24 …and there is a friend [that] sticketh closer than a brother.
That name, is peace in times of trouble!
- John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you…
- John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
That name, is calm in times of chaos!
- Psalms 107:29 He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
- Mark 4:39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
That name, is strength in times of weakness!
- Habakkuk 3:19 The LORD God [is] my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ [feet], and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.
- Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
That name, is light in the darkness of this world!
- Psalms 119:105 Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
- 1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
That name, is joy in times of sorrow!
- Habakkuk 3:18 Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
- Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
- Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
That name, is power in times of struggle!
- Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
- Isaiah 40:29 He giveth power to the faint; and to [them that have] no might he increaseth strength.
That name, saves in a wicked and perverse world!
- Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
- Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
- Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God [is] my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH [is] my strength and [my] song; he also is become my salvation.
The name is not limited to these things.
- Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
- Matthew 19:26 But Jesus beheld [them], and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
Blessed be the name of the Lord!